The term "yoga" is derived from the Sanskrit word meaning "to unite." The system of exercises focuses on uniting or harmonizing the mind, body and spirit. Practicing yoga regularly promotes energy enhancement, increased flexibility and muscular toning.
The Chicago Park District currently has yoga classes at various locations plus fitness selections such as circuit training, conditioning, kickboxing, Pilates, yoga and aerobics. Additionally, the Park District offers an affordable alternative to commercial gyms with its 55 citywide fitness centers featuring state-of-the-art equipment.
The Chicago Park District encourages residents to enjoy free yoga classes at the following locations during free yoga week. Please contact the individual sites for the schedule.
1. Berger Park Cultural Center, 6205 N. Sheridan Rd., 773-761-0376
2. Clarendon Park Community Center, 4501 N. Clarendon Ave., 312-742-7512
3. Commercial Park, 1845 W. Rice St., 312-742-7558
4. Daley Bicentennial Plaza, 337 E. Randolph St., 312-742-7648
5. Fosco Park, 1312 S. Racine Ave., 312-746-5086
6. Gill Park, 825 W. Sheridan Rd., 312-742-7802
7. Hamlin Park, 3035 N. Hoyne Ave., 312-742-7785
8. Harrison Park, 1824 W. Wood St., 312-746-5491
9. Hiawatha Park, 8029 W. Forest Preserve Dr., 312-746-5559
10. Independence Park, 3945 N. Springfield Ave., 773-478-3538
11. Jefferson (Thomas) Memorial Park, 4822 N. Long Ave., 773-685-3316
12. Loyola Park, 1230 W. Greenleaf Ave., 773-262-8605
13. McGuane Park, 2901 S. Popular Ave., 312-747-6497
14. Seward Park, 375 W. Elm St., 312-742-7895
15. Sheil Park, 3505 N. Southport Ave., 312-742-7826
16. South Shore Cultural Center, 7059 S. Shore Dr., 773-256-0149
17. Tuley Park, 501 E. 90th Pl., 312-747-6763
18. Wilson (Frank J.) Park, 4630 N. Milwaukee Ave., 773-685-6454
19. North Park Village Nature Center, 5801 N. Pulaski Rd., 312-744-5472
For more information on Free Yoga Week and other fitness opportunities, call 312-742-PLAY or visit www.chicagoparkdistrict.com.
For more information about the Chicago Park District's more than 7,500 acres of parkland, 552 parks, 26 miles of lakefront, nine museums, two world-class conservatories, 16 historic lagoons, 10 bird and wildlife gardens, thousands of special events, sports and entertaining programs, please visit www.chicagoparkdistrict.com or contact the Chicago Park District at 312/742.PLAY or 312/747.2001 (TTY). Want to share your talent? Volunteer in the parks by calling, 312/742.PLAY.