Police: No break in store shooting case

February 14, 2008 6:43:49 AM PST
After questioning someone, police investigating the deadly store shootings in Tinley Park say they do not have a break in the case. Federal marshals questioned a man after picking him up on a parole violation. He has a history of armed robbery and bears some resemblance to the suspect in the Lane Bryant murders. But the Sun-Times reports the man is not linked to the shootings.

Tinley Park police released this statement, "There have been recent media reports that a suspect is in custody...this information is incorrect. No one has been arrested, nor do we have suspects at this time."

Late Wednesday morning, a source close to the case told ABC7 that investigators have not found anything concrete to connect the man they are questioning to the murders of five women at the store a week and a half ago. Since then, the South Suburban Major Crimes Task Force has received hundreds of tips and questioned countless people.

A fresh round of leads has come in since the sketch of the suspect went up on billboards across Chicago earlier this week. Within the last week and a half, investigators in Tinley Park have interviewed a number of people, and some may have been taken briefly into police custody, but none of them has been labeled a suspect. Typically it doesn't make it onto the news. Police are downplaying this latest development, following this lead as they are many others.

Those men included a man who police picked up Monday in Chicago at a bar on the South Side. He was African American, heavyset and wore his hair in corn rows. Apparently the similarities to the suspect ended there. Police cut him loose after an hour or two of questioning. Police say they have an obligation to follow any and every lead whether it's based on appearance or hard evidence.

Attorneys for the estate of one of the women killed says a judge has ordered that all evidence in the case be preserved.


Load Comments