How do you know if you're sleep-deprived? And what can you do to ensure a better night's sleep?
Dr. Phyllis Zee, who directs the Sleep Disorders Center at Northwestern University, visits ABC7 Chicago to answer questions.
5 Signs You're Not Getting Enough Sleep
1. You sleep longer on weekends than weekdays
2. You need to drink more than 3 cups of coffee to get going
3. You sleep less than 6 1/2 hours per night
4. You can fall asleep anytime and anywhere
5. You have an Epworth score (used to determine daytime sleepiness) greater than 10
5 Easy Ways to Get a Better Night's Sleep
1. Limit time in bed to your usual sleep time
2. Limit activities in bed to sleep and sex
3. Arise the same time every morning and go to bed the same time every night
4. Avoid alcohol and caffeine in the evening
5. Do not nap during the day
The 'Big Sleep Show: An Alertness and Healthy Sleep Expo' will be held in Chicago May 9-10 at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center. For more information, log on to www.thebigsleepshow.com.