The children come from different corners of the Metropolitan area. Most of them participate in school bands and orchestras; many are Suzuki trained. These kids really enjoy what they learn, for them playing music is all about fun!
The students of the Academy compete individually and as group at the Midwest Fleadh Cheoil. This is the qualifying competition for the All-Ireland music competition held each year in late August.
The Academy of Irish Music plays at Chief O'Neills Pub on the first Sunday of every month. In May, the Academy students were honored with the opportunity to play for Ireland's President, Mary McAleese at the IAHC Library dedication. Students also perform throughout the Chicago community for various charity events, weddings, funerals, and private parties. Their annual performances at Celtic Fest Chicago and the Milwaukee Irish Fest are always well attended.
Be Irish for a day! Join USO Discovery Kids on their next big adventure to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with Spriorad Damhsa "Spirit of the Dance" and the traditions of Irish music and dance.
Sunday, March 16th ~ Noon - 4pm ~ All Ages
at The Abbey Pub.
3420 W Grace St, Chicago
It's "Ireland Forever!" as USO Discovery Kids joins Spriorad Damhsa, a non for profit Irish dance school in Chicago that creates powerful, artistic performances promoting the stories and traditions of Ireland through traditional Irish music and dance. Performers and their families will take us on a fun-filled, educational adventure at The Abbey Pub, Chicago's original Irish pub. It's a day of celebration for ALL AGES!
This lucky event features:
* Performances by the 50-member Spriorad Damhsa dance troupe!
* Live Irish music and Irish bagpipers!
* FREE luncheon buffet from Noon-4pm
* Special USO Discovery Kids Luck O' The Irish Kits
* Learn the traditional Irish celli group dance!
* Irish "Penny Whistle" instruction and FREE instruments to take home!
* Kid-friendly crafts to make and take home on the traditions and symbols of Ireland!
* Educational materials from the Irish American Heritage Center of Chicago!
* Opportunity for FREE enrollment in an 8-week Irish dance class for all Military children!
FREE street parking is available along Elston Ave. for this event.
This event is open to all Illinois active-duty, guard or reservist families. Tickets were issued first come, first served with a registration deadline date of Noon, Friday, March 14th. A check-in desk will be available at the door to provide access for all registered guests upon arrival.