Here's some real ways you can start saving:
- Get coupons online instead of clipping coupons from the paper: will save you time. Great source is www.coupons.com or www.coupons.smartsource.com. Can get coupons for a variety of food all on one site.
- Lower the quantity you purchase. It is a fact that we waste 15-percent of all the food we buy, and we spend, on average, 15-percent of our salary on food.
- Shop in only one store. Temptations go up the more stores you shop at.
- Shop for produce at end of day for best bargains.
- Stay away from wholesale clubs that charge a membership fee, and whose large supply of products will be wasted -- instead, for the basics, try a discount grocery store like the Dollar Store or Aldi's. Can even get toiletries and detergents cheaper here
- When spend $250 at Dominick's get 125 miles on United?really adds up to defray travel costs.
- Buy bulk only in peak season * Even Wal-Mart carries organic packaged foods-don't have to go to higher priced stores to buy organic.
- Join local farmer coops-pay fee but get weekly deliveries. Visit www.nal.usda.gov to find local farmers selling in your neighborhood.
- Organic companies now offering coupons: Stonyfield Farm and Cascadian Farm.
- Watch out for savings programs like Upromise. They may save a few percentage points on your purchases but the interest rate on their cards are high.
- Illinois residents: Save up to 80% on basic prescription drugs. For more information visit www.i-saverx.net or call (866-472-8333): Order a 3-month supply to save on shipping ($15-25 per shipment).
- If switch prescription drugs to CVS you will get a $30 gift card. Great coupons here and savings on grocery items.
- If you are over 65, you can save up to 50% on prescriptions through AARP.
- We all have unused toiletries, collected from vacations and previous years. Donate these toiletries and write off the deduction in your area. For more information visit www.toiletriesfromtravel.org .
- When buying less expensive products take advantage of money-back guarantees. Example: Suave. If you don't like the product you don't have to use it up.
- Beware of coupons you get in the mail. You may be entered into a computer system if you use them and get unwanted junk mail.
***Write to companies whose products you use to get coupons. Organic companies are starting to send out coupons if you write to them. Ex: Amy's, Horizon and Soy Delicious, to name a few.
For more information visit www.jenniferlitwin.com.