PEORIA, Ill. --
Peoria County State's Attorney Kevin Lyons says the death penalty is off the table for the parents of a 5-month-old boy who are accused of starving the child to death earlier this year. Lyons said Tuesday too many pitfalls exist to make the death penalty a realistic option, including Tracy Hermann and James Sargent's mental health issues and the fact they are blaming each other for the boy's death.
The 21-year-old Hermann and 23-year-old James Sargent are accused of leaving Benjamin Sargent without food or water in a car seat for eight days. The baby was left in the snowsuit he was wearing when dropped off at their home.
Both Hermann and Sargent are being held without bond at the Peoria County Jail. An August 4 trial date has been set for the pair.