Sesame Seed Salmon
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon peeled, minced fresh ginger
- 2 pounds fresh salmon cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¼ cup mixed black and white sesame seeds
- Pickled ginger, if desired
- 8 soaked bamboo or metal skewers
Preheat the grill.
In a medium-size bowl, mix the soy sauce, wine brown sugar, ginger, and garlic together to make a marinade. Add the salmon, toss well, cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes before grilling.
Remove from the marinade and roll in the mixed sesame seeds before grilling. Discard the leftover marinade.
Thread the cubes of salmon onto the presoaked skewers and grill for 2 minutes per side over medium heat. Serve with coleslaw and fresh fruit. Accompany with pickled ginger, if desired.
Variations and Tips
- Instead of using sesame seeds, roll the salmon cubes in coarsely ground black peppercorns before grilling.
- Try recipe with tuna, chicken, beef or brats sliced at an angle.
- Grill favorite vegetables or fruits such as pineapple and mango. It is important to marinate vegetable separate from the poultry, fish or beef for food safety.
- Grill like thing together. Skewering meat on separate skewers from the vegetables is advisable because the cooking times can vary considerable.
- Have fun and keep is simple!