Smoked Organic Salmon with Fresh Arugula and Tomato Vinaigrette Served with Roasted Farmer's Market Corn & Zucchini
4 ? 6oz. Organic Salmon Filets
Prepare the following Dry Rub
- 1 T Brown Sugar
- 1 T Dry Oregano
- ½ T Chili Powder
- 1 T Coriander (lightly toasted)
- 1 T Fennel (lightly toasted)
- 2 T Chopped Garlic
- ½ T Salt
- ½ T Black Pepper
Place above ingredients into a spice grinder (coffee bean grinder) and pulverize until ingredients are in powder form. Liberally season each side of the salmon filets with the dry rub and place on a shallow tray to marinate at least 1 hour up to 6 hours.
The Smoking Process:
- Place marinated salmon filets in a ring along the interior of a large bowl leaving space in the center for a smaller bowl that will contain the wood chips.
- Soak hard wood chips in a bath of water. Once thoroughly soaked place in a small, oven safe bowl. NOTE: The size of the bowl must be conducive to fitting in the larger bowl that contains the salmon filets which will serve as a self-made smoker.
- Place the bowl of wood chips into a broiler or salamander until they begin to smoke. Remove the "smoking" chips from the broiler and place the small bowl in the center of the salmon filets and cover the large bowl containing the wood bowl tightly with plastic wrap.
- Allow to smoke for 30 minutes. NOTE: To maintain the intensity of smoke remove small bowl of wood chips and return to broiler until smoking begins again and repeat process for a total smoking time of 30 minutes.
- Upon completion of the smoking process place salmon filets in a shallow baking pan in a 350' oven for approximately 8 minutes.
Tomato Vinaigrette Preparation:
- 3 Roma Tomatoes; peeled and seeded
- ¼ c. diced white onion
- ½ T. chopped garlic
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 T. Sherry Vinaigrette
- ½ c. Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- Sautee tomato, onion and garlic in 1 T olive oil until soft
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes
- Remove liquid from pan and allow to cool
- Place into blender/food processor
- Puree until smooth
- Whisk in Sherry Vinaigrette and Olive Oil
- Add salt & pepper to taste
- Clean and set aside 1 c. of Arugula
Pan Roasted Farmer's Market Corn and Zucchini:
- 1 c. freshly shucked corn
- ½ c. sliced zucchini
- ½ T sliced garlic
- 1 t. chopped Rosemary
- 2 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat olive oil over med-high heat; add zucchini & corn and sauté until golden brown. Add chopped garlic & rosemary and cook for a few minutes more until garlic is cooked through. Add salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
Plating (Individual portions):
- Mound corn & zucchini in center of a large plate
- Place smoked salmon filet on top of roasted vegetables
- Toss 1 T of the Tomato Vinaigrette with cleaned Arugula & place ¼ cup of the
- mixture on each plate directly atop of salmon filet
- Finish the presentation by drizzling 1 T. of the Tomato Vinaigrette in a circular pattern on the plate.