Fire breaks out at Chicago landfill

August 28, 2008 2:32:46 PM PDT
Firefighters battled a blaze at a landfill on the city's Far South Side Thursday morning. The fire in a generator at 2000 East 122nd Street was fueled by methane.

Crews arrived on the scene at approximately 6:30 a.m., and the fire was extinguished a couple of hours later.

Before putting water on the flames, firefighters had to wait for officials to shut down the methane line. The fire ended up burning the insulation and storage area around the generator.

No homes were threatened, and no one was injured.


Load Comments