Marching band heads to Sugar Bowl

November 19, 2008 10:48:42 AM PST
The Proviso East High School marching band will be part of the New Year's tradition in New Orleans. The trip to the Big Easy is just one of many the talented musicians-- who also excel in the classroom-- have made in recent years. They have appeared in several parades across the country, as well as in Canada. Now, they're raising money for their trip to New Orleans and the Sugar Bowl.

"It's going to be a fun experience something new and going to take care of business and have fun," said Jarratt Artis.

"I think it's a great opportunity and a great experience for all the kids here," said Linesey Jones, trumpet player.

Sixteen years ago Reginald Wright Junior took over as director, guiding the band to its current prominence.

"It took a lot of work. When I first came there were only about 16 people in the band and we've moved right along and by the third year we were in the hundreds," said Wright.

"It's like an audition for them on the big stage and hopefully after participating in the Sugar Bowl...some of those universities down there will come up and recruit our students also," said Milton Patch, Proviso East principal.

Many band members have earned full music scholarships.

"Last year we sent 21 kids to college. I think the year before that it was 17. And, then 2006 we had our largest year. We had 46 kids to go with full scholarships that year."


Load Comments