November 1875: The current cathedral was dedicated.
1888: The first of many renovations began
1979: Pope John Paul II visited Holy Name after celebrating mass in Grant Park. He heard concerts of liturgical music by tenor Luciano Pavarotti and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
November 1996: Thousands came to Holy Name to mourn a Chicago prelate. People lined up around the cathedral campus to pay their respects to Joseph Cardinal Bernadin, who had been archbishop of Chicago for 14 years.
May 1997: Portland Bishop Francis George was named archbishop of Chicago. Thousands came out for his installation ceremony, which took place at Holy Name.
2008: The sanctuary underwent extensive repairs after significant problems were found in the ceiling's structure. In February, a decorative piece of the ceiling fell onto the pews. The sanctuary was closed for nearly a year for repairs. Daily mass resumed there just this past November.
- Renovations at Holy Name:
- March 3, 2008 Services at Holy Name moved temporarily
- March 7, 2008 Holy Name Cathedral potentially relocates
- March 26, 2008 Holy Name to stay closed as roof inspections go on
- August 30, 2008: Saturday mass held at Chicago's Holy Name
- November 17, 2008: Holy Name's cathedral reopens
February 2009: Fire rips through Holy Name sanctuary