Space heater suspected in deadly fire

March 12, 2009 2:38:48 PM PDT
A space heater may have started a deadly fire on Chicago's South Side. The fire broke out around 8 p.m. Wednesday night in the 6400-block of South Eggleston.

Firefighters found 53-year-old Lamont Johnson's body in a second floor bedroom. He was taken to St. Bernard Hospital where he died.

Fire investigators say there were two space heaters near Johnson's bed and they were both turned on high.

An autopsy revealed that Johnson died from smoke inhalation.


Load Comments