WAY TO GRILL: direct medium heat (350° to 450°F)
GRILLING TIME: 20 to 30 minutes
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: 2 untreated maple planks, each 12 to 15 inches long and ½ to ¾ inch thick, soaked in beer or water for at least 1 hour
½ cup ketchup
? cup Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1½ teaspoons dry mustard
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
2 pounds ground turkey thigh meat
¼ cup finely chopped shallot
¾ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 hamburger buns
18 sweet pickle slices
1. In a medium bowl combine the sauce ingredients. Set aside about ½ cup of the sauce to serve with the burgers.
2. Mix the ground turkey with the shallot, oats, salt, and pepper and form into 6 patties, each about ¾ inch thick. With your thumb or the back of a spoon, make a shallow indentation about 1 inch wide in the center of each patty so the centers are about ½ inch thick.
3. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat.
4. Brush the cooking grates clean. Drain the planks and heat them over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until they begin to char and lightly smoke, 5 to 10 minutes. Turn the planks over and place 3 patties on each plank. Grill the burgers over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, for 15 to 20 minutes, turning and basting with the sauce once after 10 minutes.
5. During the last minute of grilling time, lightly toast the cut sides of the buns over direct medium heat. Serve the burgers on buns with pickles, the reserved sauce, and rings of onion, if desired.
Recipe from Weber's Way to Grill? by Jamie Purviance. Used with permission