1 1/2 cups Japanese sushi rice or short-grained white rice
2 3/4 cups water
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1 cucumber, thinly sliced
1 avocado, thinly sliced
8 sheets nori
Bamboo sushi roller
1. In a rice cooker or heavy pot, add rice and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to very low and cook until water is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
2. When rice is done, remove from heat and gently mix in vinegar with rubber spatula.
3. Spread the rice out onto a cookie sheet to cool. Wait until it is no longer hot (but it does not have to be cold). You can use this time to prepare your filling.
4. Place a nori sheet on the bamboo sushi roller with the longer end facing you. Get a bowl of water and moisten your hands to prevent rice from sticking to them. Using your moistened hands spread enough rice to cover the bottom 1/2 of the nori to about 1/4-inch thickness. Dip your hands in the water to re-moisten them periodically. Make sure the rice is spread evenly and to the edges.
5. Place 2-3 pieces each of carrot, cucumber, and avocado across the center of the rice (the vegetables should be in a straight line going from left to right). Press them down gently.
6. Roll up the sushi roll, starting with the end nearest to you. Roll the end nearest to you to meet the spot where the rice ends. You should have a 2-3 inch area of plain nori, then continue to roll, pressing gently to seal.
7. Slice the nori into 8 pieces, using a very sharp knife. Moisten the knife with water between each slice (keep a tall glass of water handy), and wipe the knife clean, re-moistening every 2-3 cuts.