Zack Heddinger needs help getting around Pittsburgh these days. He says he is nearly blind and has suffered brain damage since shortly after his visit to Soldier Field in September for the Bears Steelers game.
After the game he says he and several of his friends, who were wearing Steelers jerseys, got into an argument with Bears fans at Kitty O'Shea's, a bar near the stadium.
"Basically, I guess, my buddies had gotten into an altercation and they offered a drink as a peacemaker," said Zack Heddinger.
Heddinger said he now believes the drink was spiked with something toxic.
A short time later, he passed out on the way back to his hotel. He says his friends called an ambulance and doctors at Rush University Medical Center had to revive him several times after his heart stopped.
The hospital called his family around 3 a.m. and told them to come to Rush because there was concern he was going to die.
"They thought it was antifreeze or something because it was so strong," Heddinger.
"I literally watched him say, within a matter of hours, say 'I'm getting scared. I can't see anything,'" said Lisa Heddinger, sister.
Family members say a security camera at the bar may help police identify a suspect. At this point no one is in custody.
A spokesperson for Kitty O'Sheas says they are cooperating with the police investigation.
Heddinger continues to get medical treatment in Pittsburg. His family has hired an attorney, but they say they will wait for the results of the police investigation before deciding their next move.