* Collect information on schools and compare your options
* Make a short list of schools to which you and your child are interested in applying
* Take a tour of the schools you are interested in
* Keep track of school application deadlines and other important registration dates
* Submit applications to multiple schools
Questions to Ask When Choosing A School:
* Do the school's test scores show students are making progress?
* What are the school's attendance and graduation rates?
* Does the school offer a longer school day and/or school year?
* What types of extracurricular activities does the school offer?
* How are parents involved in the school?
3rd Annual New Schools EXPO
Chicago Public Schools and Parents for Schools Choice
1410 South Museum Campus Drive, Gate 6
(indoors & heated)
Sat., 9:30am to 2pm
* Free Admission & free parking
* Free trolley running between Roosevelt L stop & Soldier Field
www.parentsforschoolchoice.org or call 1-888-7-MYCHOICE
Families from across the city that are looking for a new Chicago public school are invited to attend the 3rd Annual NEW SCHOOLS EXPO, presented by Parents for School Choice and the Chicago Public Schools, on Saturday, January 30, 2010 at Soldier Field (indoors & heated), Gate 6.
The free EXPO will showcase campuses of new elementary and high schools, including charter schools. Many of these schools offer innovative approaches to learning that could include: a longer school day, longer school year, smaller classes, special themes and access to technology, internships or other resources.
"I encourage all Chicago families looking for a new public school to attend this year's EXPO," says Kim Davis-Ambrose, a parent of a junior at one of the new high schools and a member of Parents for School Choice "The EXPO will showcase more than 85 of Chicago's new school campuses. Parents and students will have the opportunity to pose questions of school leaders, to apply to new schools on site so they don't miss any of the upcoming application deadlines, and attend informational workshops."
Last year, approximately 4,000 parents and students came out to the EXPO to exercise their choice and learn more about what school options were a best fit for their family.
Guests to the EXPO will have the chance to meet with new school leaders and begin to apply to new schools on-site. They will be able to attend workshops on a variety of topics, including: What Makes a Quality School, How to Choose a School, Parent Engagement Before & After Enrollment, Serving Students with Special Needs, Safe Schools, Safe Passages, and What Makes a Charter School Unique.
"There are nearly 100 new schools for Chicago families to choose from, and with more schools slated to open this fall, community members are invited to come and learn how they can secure a great education for their child," said Davis-Ambrose.
Parents for School Choice (PFSC) is a coalition of parents and community members who believe children deserve a quality education in a safe environment. PFSC members work to inform Chicago families that they have a choice of where to send their children to public school and encourage parents to take an active role in their children's education.
To get more information about the city's new public school options or Parents for School Choice, call 1-888-7-MYCHOICE or go online to www.parentsforschoolchoice.org.
Who: Chicago Public Schools and Parents for Schools Choice
What: 3rd Annual New Schools EXPO
When: Saturday, January 30, 2010
9:30am - 2:00pm
Where: Soldier Field, 1410 South Museum Campus Drive, Gate 6
Details: - Free admission & free parking
- Free shuttle bus running between the Roosevelt el stop and the EXPO