Serving Size: 1, 2 oz cake OR 2, 1 oz cakes(1, 2 oz serving of protein)
· Large bowl
· Cutting board
· Chef knife
· Wooden spoon or spatula
· Metal spoon to peel ginger
· Sheet tray & aluminum foil
· Solid measuring cup(s) spoon(s)
· Grater or microplane
2, 5 oz tins of chunk light tuna in water (can substitute for canned chicken or crab meat) *
1 clove of garlic, finely minced
1 t fresh ginger, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely minced, no seeds!
2 T cilantro, chopped
2 t garam masala (optional, add spices such as curry and chili pepper)
1 lime, juiced
½ C unsweetened dried coconut (or fresh grated coconut)
1/3 C bread crumbs
salt to taste
1. Kids who do not use a knife can open and drain the tuna, peel and grate the ginger, take the paper off the garlic, take the cilantro leaves off their stems, juice the limes, crack the eggs and measure the dry ingredients!
2. Mince the ginger, garlic, the jalapeno pepper very finely and add them to the tuna.
3. Add the dried spices. Then add the lime juice, coconut, salt and eggs. Mix all the ingredients of the tuna cake together well.
4. Shape the mixture into a patty, about the size of a hockey puck or a peanut butter jar lid. If it is not sticking together, add another 1/3 cup of breadcrumbs.
5. Move the patties to a foil-covered baking sheet and bake the patties in a 400° F oven for 10 minutes.
6. If you like, top with more fresh or toasted coconut and/or curry powder before serving!
ü For a special occasion, you can use crabmeat in these patties instead of tuna; crabmeat is found in tins in the same aisle as the tuna. Crab patties will be drier?but also very tasty!
"GOOD FOR YOU"
ü Tuna is one of the most affordable sources of protein and omega-3 fatty acids found in grocery stores all over the United States.
ü "Omega-3 fatty acids" are found in fatty fish (mackerel, salmon, anchovies) and plant based sources like flaxseed, walnuts and canola oil.
ü They help keep your blood pumping?so they can help you grow healthily while you're young and help lower your risk of heart disease when you are older
Did you know?
ü That coriander is the seed, or the powdered seed, of the same plant that grows cilantro leaves.