Daley to declassify names of aldermanic applicants

File photo of then-Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley answering questions during an interview with The Associated Press in Chicago, Tuesday, Dec. 12, 2006. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast)

March 3, 2010 2:30:20 PM PST
After pressure from ABC 7, Mayor Daley says he will release the names of people who applied for the two open aldermanic positions in Chicago.

Mayor Daley's administration had denied a Freedom of Information request filed by ABC 7 by saying revealing the names could cause "irreparable harm."

Nearly 90 people applied for the open positions in the 1st and 29th wards.

Isaac Carothers lost his job when he pleaded guilty to corruption charges and Manny Flores resigned his position to head the Illinois Commerce Commission.

Mayor Daley has sole discretion to name the replacements.

Last month, the mayor posted the vacancies on the city's web site. Even though Mayor Daley says he will now release the names, he says the actual applications should remain a secret.

In an unrelated move, the Illinois Democratic Party released the names, resumes and interest statements of candidates seeking to be named as the party's candidate for Lieutenant Governor. That information is at www.ildems.com. See the city's original response to the ABC 7 request here.


Load Comments