This spring, sports have inspired fashion designers and sportswear has transitioned into flattering street wear for the average woman, Graham explains. Blazing linebacker shoulders in neutral colors make for a confident, no-nonsense silhouette, complimented by athletic inspired shorts, underwear, skirts, and leggings. Athletic-inspired fashion is further seen through fun details such as varsity jackets, pigskin shaped clutches and hardcore stripes usually attributed to rugby uniforms, he adds.
Graham has assembled several sports-inspired looks for us; they are modeled by Chicago Red Stars soccer players Marian Dalmy, Ella Masar, Brittany Klein and Natalie Spilger. But, Graham says, you don't have to be a professional athlete to wear these clothes that are flattering and found in a wide range of prices.
The Chicago Red Stars are members of Women's Professional Soccer and play their home games at Toyota Park in suburban Bridgeview. The Red Stars enter their second season in the eight-team WPS, and their 2010 home opener takes place on Saturday, April 17, against Saint Louis Athletics. For more information about the Red Stars, log on to www.ChicagoRedStars.com or call 866-WPS-2009.
MARIAN DALMY (No. 2)
Birth date: 11/25/84
Hometown: Lakewood, CO
- Selected in the third round of the WPS General Draft (20th overall).
- 2009: Had two assists and logged 1,310 minutes in 16 games during her WPS debut.
- Contributed the first assist in Red Stars history, leading to a Lindsay Tarpley goal on April 4, 2009, as Chicago defeated host Saint Louis Athletica, 1-0, in the season opener for both teams.
- Played in one match for the U.S. Women's National Team in 2009, subbing for Heather Mitts in the 61st minute of a 4-0 victory over Canada on March 25.
- In 2008, played for the U.S. WNT in five matches, coming off the bench as a second-half substitute in every game.
- Played in four matches for the U.S. WNT in 2007, starting in two of them.
- Saw action in two matches at the 2007 FIFA Women's World Cup in China. Came off the bench in the semifinals against Brazil to replace the injured Kate Markgraf.
- Started and played the entire third-place match at right back during the U.S.'s 4-1 victory over China. Participated in the 2007 residency program and traveled with the U-21 National Team.
- James Perse Jersey dress at Bloomingdale's, $155
- Turquoise leggings at Bloomingdale's, $30
- Adidas neon sport watch at Bloomingdale's, $65
- Hobo gray patent leather belt at Bloomingdale's, $48
- Marc by Marc neon tote at Bloomingdale's. $58
- Target White Tank at Target, $9
- Dolce vita black cross strap wedge at Bloomingdale's, $159
ELLA MASAR (No. 3)
Birth date: 4/3/86
Previous team: Washington Freedom (W-League)
- Selected in the second round of the WPS General Draft (ninth overall).
- 2009: Started in five games and played in 16, tallying two assists in 655 minutes. She missed some time because of a hip injury she suffered against FC Gold Pride in June.
- Earned her first international cap with the U.S. Women's National Team when she played against defending FIFA World Cup champion Germany on Oct. 29, 2009.
- Scored a pair of goals for the U.S. U-23 Women's National Team in the 2008 Nordic Cup championship match, a 3-0 win over Germany.
- Appeared in seven games in 2008, tallying four goals and an assist.
- Played 12 games with the U-21 national team in 2007, scoring two goals and an assist.
- Sass & Bide Hit and Miss Dress Dress at Gavin, $200
- Jean Paul Gaultier for Target motorcycle jacket at Target, $199
- Nina Effie shoes at Le Dress, $88
- Marc Bernstein Triple Wrap Bracelet $78
BRITTANY KLEIN (No. 6)
Height: 5' 3"
Birth Date: 10/29/1986
Hometown: Arcadia, California
Previous Team: College: Santa Clara; Club: Pali Blues
- Selected in the 2nd round of the WPS General Draft (14th overall)
- Member of the U-23 National team. Scored game-winner vs. England in January.
- Started every match of the 2008 Nordic Cup, tallying the lone goal in a win over Switzerland and adding another in a 3-0 win over England.
- Helped U.S. to 2008 Nordic Cup championship.
- Previously pool member for U.S. U-21, U-20, U-19 and U-17 National teams.
- Wilfred vintage terry pants at Aritzia, $110
- Talula cotton rib jacket at Aritzia, $110
- Alternative sleeveless tank at Aritzia, $33
- Wilfred seamless bandeau at Aritzia, $22
- Wilfred linen scarf at Aritzia $45
NATALIE SPILGER (No. 13)
Height: 5' 6"
Birth Date: 5/19/1982
Hometown: El Cajon, California
Previous Team: Bälinge IF Uppsala
- Selected in the 3rd round of the WPS General Draft (16th overall)
- Member of U.S. Women's U-21, U-18 and U-16 National teams.
- Competed at 2003 Nordic Cup
- Invited to first national camp at age 15.
- Corey Lynn Calter Black and White striped dress at Le Dress, $152
- Mak black cardigan at Le Dress, $35
- Hyde gold belt at Le Dress, $40
- Idea leggings at Le Dress, $20
- Urban Expressions clutch at Le Dress, $40
- Le Dress earrings at Le Dress, $20
- Steven black flats at Bloomingdale's, $99
WHERE TO BUY
1741 West Division Street
Chicago, IL 60622-3216
1939 Central Street
Evanston, IL 60201
900 North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611 (312) 440-4460?
835 North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL - (312) 440-3166?