Chief: Chair may have sparked fatal fire

April 14, 2010 9:24:41 AM PDT
While the report is not yet final, an electronic chair may have caused a fire that killed a Homewood firefighter and an elderly man.

World War II veteran Wendell Elias, 84, and firefighter Brian Carey, 28, died in the blaze on March 30. Carey is the first firefighter the Homewood Village Fire Department killed on the job

On Wednesday, the fire chief said preliminary reports indicate Elias' electronic lounge chair may have caught fire while Elias was in it. Elias was partially disabled following a stroke.

The chief stressed the final report is not yet out and the investigation is on going.

A second firefighter suffered second- and third-degree burns in the blaze.


Load Comments