- 4 cups cornbread cubes, dried
- 4 ounces lean Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow or white onions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 4 each dried apricots and pitted dried plums, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Place cornbread cubes in large bowl and set aside.
2. In small nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, crumbling and stirring until brown and cooked through. Drain well and set aside.
3. In large nonstick skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat. Stir in onions, celery and carrot; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer, but don't allow garlic to brown. Stir in sausage, apricots, plums, thyme, sage, marjoram and 1/4 cup broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat; pour vegetable mixture over cornbread.
4. Add parsley and stir well. Season with salt and pepper. (Dressing may be prepared to this stage a day ahead and refrigerated, covered.)
5. Whisk together egg and remaining 3/4 cup broth and pour over cornbread mixture, tossing well. Spray 2-quart baking dish with canola oil cooking spray (use larger baking dish if not reserving dressing for Turkey Roulade) and transfer all but 1 1/2 cups of dressing to baking dish. Cover dish with foil and set aside.
6. After Turkey Roulade has been in oven 30 minutes, place covered baking dish of dressing in oven. After 15 minutes (or when internal temperature of roulade, measured with instant-read thermometer, is 155 °F), remove roulade from oven and remove foil from baking dish with dressing. Continue baking dressing for about 15 minutes or until top begins to brown.
- Nutrition per (1/2 cup) serving
- Calories 100
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 30 mg
- Sodium 310 mg
- Carbohydrate 12 g
- Fiber 1 g
- Sugars 4 g
- Protein 3 g