- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons warm water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 3/8 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
1. Soak mushrooms in warm water for 5 minutes.
2. In 2-quart saucepan, heat canola oil over medium heat. Whisk in flour until blended and continue stirring until roux is lightly browned and develops nutty aroma.
3. Whisk in broth, optional salt and onion powder. Bring to a gentle boil until just thickened, stirring. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat and season with pepper. Add softened mushrooms and any soaking liquid.
4. Puree gravy in food processor or food mill. Return mixture to saucepan. Heat just to a simmer.
- Nutrition per (1/4 cup) serving
- Calories 50
- Total Fat 3 g
- Saturated Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 115 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5 g
- Fiber 2 g
- Sugar 0 g
- Protein 1 g