To help with the process, Julia Mix, fitness manager at the Equinox Fitness Club, 900 N. Michigan Ave., visited the ABC7 Chicago studio to demonstrate a few moves and offer 10 tips for leading a healthier lifestyle in 2011.
1. Create your own contract. Write down your resolutions and the reasons why you want to keep them, and then sign your contract!
2. Make small, attainable goals. If weight loss is your goal, then consider starting out with 20 minutes of cardiovascular activity two to three times a week, then slowly increase your time to 30 minutes each session.
3. Hire a certified personal trainer.
4. Clear your shelves and fridge! Throw out all junk food in your house. Replace old snack foods with new ones, such as cut veggies and fresh fruit.
5. Stay off the scale. Use the way your clothes fit to judge your progress. Muscle is denser than fat. You may be losing inches without significant weight loss.
6. Chose an activity that you really enjoy doing.
7. Make it part of your day. Schedule your exercise as if it were lunch.
8. Motivate yourself by listening to music while you exercise.
9. Exercise with a friend.
10. Reward yourself. Once you achieve a short-term goal, do something nice for yourself -- perhaps buy a new piece of clothing that makes you feel great.