This year's theme is "The Sport of Gardening." So, the Chicago Botanic Garden is holding a horticulture competition called "Play Ball" to see who has the best plant in the Chicago area.
2011 Chicago Flower & Garden Show
"The Sport of Gardening"
Festival Hall, Navy Pier
Monday through Saturday: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Sunday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Potting Parties: Hands-on container gardening workshops
Every day except Sunday: 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 3 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
Chicago Botanic Garden Horticulture Competition: "Play Ball"
Submit your entries:
Wednesday, March 2, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Thursday, March 3, 9 a.m. to noon
- Keep your plant healthy, free of pests and disease.
- Remove dead or unhealthy-looking foliage; clean the leaves (no polish).
- Deadhead spent flowers; make the plant tidy.
- Trim back leggy growth.
- Stake branches that need extra support.
- Clean the pot; keep pot size in scale with plant.
- Top dressing is allowed.
- Know the name of your plant.
- Protect your plant during transport.