Investigators have found that some jewelry imported from China may be contaminated with cadmium. It's a soft bluish-white metal that's extremely toxic.
If ingested, cadmium can cause kidney, bone, lung and liver disease.
An Ashland University Study measured the amount of cadmium in 69 pieces of inexpensive jewelry. The research found that if placed in the mouth or swallowed some of the pieces could released up 100 times the recommended minimum limit.
The findings in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives support earlier research about the dangers of cadmium in jewelry.