The fire broke out in the kitchen of the house at 3020 South Gratten Wednesday night.
Firefighters found 86-year-old Ann Adeski collapsed 12 feet from the kitchen in a hallway. Her clothing had apparently caught fire as she headed down the hallway away from the fire. She died after she was taken to a hospital.
Chicago firefighters went door to door Thursday morning handing out smoke detectors in the neighborhood after the deadly fire. The detectors were inside bags with tips on how to safely escape a fire.