- 1 lb. fresh sashimi grade ahi tuna steaks, cut into cubed, bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (shoyu)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (tops included)
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 (or 2) avocados (diced)
- 1 tomato lomi (finely chopped tomato massaged with sea salt)
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- a few chopped sprigs of watercress for color and spice
- 1 or 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 (or 2)jalapeno pepper (seeded and diced )
- 2 tsp. furikake w/ toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tsp. finely crushed toasted marcona almonds or toasted macadamia nuts - crushed to a paste (this is ONLY as a substitute for inamona; known as 'kukui nut paste', which is difficult to find outside of Hawaii)
- Sea salt, to taste
(Note: You can vary the ingredients to your taste.)
In a mortar and pestle - crush marcona almonds with some jalepeno & sesame oil to make a paste. Put the paste In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients (except the watercress) and mix lightly.
Cover and refrigerate approx. 1 hour.
Before serving mix in the chopped watercress.
Serve with a side of white sushi rice and garnish with a small portion of Kim Chee
(you can also serve with fried rice paper coated with furikake and a crunchy cracker).