Pet owners might not realize how much of an impact their pets have on the planet -- just think of all the kitty litter! So we had Paul Cracco with PETCO in our ABC7 studio to talk about ways to become a green pet owner.
1. Picking up after your pet
- Use biodegradeable poop bags
- Product examples: Planet PETCO Paper Pellet Cat Litter (made with 95 percent or more post-consumer paper); Planet PETCO Crumbled Paper Small Animal Bedding, for example for hamsters (completely biodegradable)
2. Think adoption first
3. Spay or neuter your pet
- Help control animal overpopulation and decrease the number of homeless animals.
4. Feed natural pet food
- Product examples: Innova and Holistic Selects pet food
5. Use Plant-Based Grooming and Cleaning Products
- Product examples: Planet PETCO shampoos (especially designed to be non-toxic for pets and people.)
6. Use pet accessories (bedding, collars and leashes) that encouragesustainability and provide comfort
- Product examples: Planet PETCO Moroccan beds (filling is made from post-consumer plastic bottles that are weaved into stuffing); Planet PETCO collars and leashes (made from post-consumer plastic bottles)
7. Be active and live a healthy lifestyle
- Head to your local dog park to play with other dogs, find a dog- friendly nature trail, or just go for a walk around the neighborhood.
- Don't have a dog? Let your cat run around outside in a safe, enclosed yard or space.