The fire broke out about 6:30 p.m. Saturday on the top floor of a three-story building on S. Yates Blvd.
Brandon Jackson says he woke up from a nap to find his apartment engulfed in flames, and there was no way to get out with his three children, all younger than six.
"I couldn't get to the front door; I couldn't get to the back door; I opened the window, which was a mistake - all the oxygen came in," said Jackson. "Luckily, the firemen heard me... the firemen put the ladder up to my third story apartment... saved my kids, threw them to the firemen and they got out. I'm just so happy."
Jackson followed his children down the ladder.
No one was hurt. There was no word Sunday morning on what started the fire.