Duck Breast Terrine with Green & Pink Peppercorns served with Fig & Date Jam
Yield 2 1/4 lb
- 5 Tb. Olive Oil
- 3 ea. Spanish Oinons, minced
- 7 oz. Duck Meat, passed through 1/4 in. Grinder Plate
- 11 oz. Pork Shoulder, passed through 1/4 in. Grinder Plate
- 2 oz. White Port
- 1/2 Tb. Pink Peppercorns
- 1/2 Tb. Green Peppercorns
- 3 1/2 Smoked Duck Breast, Sliced Thin
- Kosher Salt & Black Pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat large flat bottom pan to medium heat and add olive oil, Cook onions until soft. Coarse grind peppercorns and add to onions removing from heat and Allowing to cool. Combine onions, peppercorns, white port, ground pork shoulder and ground duck meat in a bowl and mix well to emulsify. Line an 8 in. terrine mold with plastic film and tile one layer on the sliced, smoked duck breast on the bottom of the pan. Fill the mold 1/3 of the way up with meat mixture, then another layer of smoked duck?continue until all product is used. Pull up plastic film and wrap over top of terrine, then cover with aluminum foil, shiny side down (facing the meat).
Place terrine in a deep oven proof pan and fill with room temperature water 2/3 the way up the terrine mold. Place pan into preheated oven and cook until thermometer reads 155 degrees. Remove tern from water bath and place a weight on top, pressing overnight under refrigeration.
- 2 Lbs. Black Mission Figs (washed, and stem removed)
- 1 ea. Whole Orange, cut into 1 in. cubes
- 1 C. Gold Raisins
- 1 Lb. Medjool Dates (steeped in hot water until soft)
- 1 C. Hazelnuts, Toasted and crushed
- 4 oz. Whiskey (your choice)
Combine figs, orange, raisins, dates and hazelnuts and pass through small plate of meat grinder (a food processor will also work in batches). Place all of above ingredients in a medium sized pot and simmer until all liquid is evaporated. Flame off alcohol from whiskey and combine with Fruits and nuts.
Remove plastic wrap from terrine and slice into 1/4 in slices--arrange on plate with a spoon of fig jam, a spoon of grain mustard and grilled bread