November 15, 2011 (CHICAGO) --Pick up more than just pumpkin pie this Thanksgiving! While plenty of Chicago pie makers offer the classics like pumpkin and sweet potato, check out the other options -- that are ready to go.
Time Out Chicago Kids October/November issue picked its favorite non-traditional pies from Chicago area bakers.
- Mint chocolate pie: $20, First Slice Pie Cafe (4401 Ravenswood Ave./773.506.7380 )
- Honey cream cheese-frosted sweet potato pie: $16, Jimmy Jamm Sweet Potato Pies (1844 W 95th St./ 773.779.9105)
- S'mores pie: $24, Hoosier Mama Pie Company (1618 1/2 Chicago Ave/312.243.4846) - The melted pieces of chocolate in the middle make it taste like an actual s'more
- Pumpkin handpies: $3 each, Hoosier Mama Pie Company; Good for little hands to have their own treat and big hands just wanting a snack
- Steak and ale pie: $7.50, Pleasant House Bakery (964 W 31st St./ 773.523.PIES)
- Apple pie: $43 including pan, Chopping Block (222 W Merchandise Mart/312.644.6360 and 4747 N Lincoln Ave./773.472.6700); Pan is unique, and etchings in crust make it look homemade