Girl, 6, accidentally sets self on fire

December 13, 2011 11:11:40 AM PST
A 6-year-old girl was in the hospital Tuesday with severe burns after she apparently set herself on fire inside her Chicago home.

Fire investigators say the girl was playing with a lighter in her grandmother's bedroom at approximately 10:30 p.m. Monday in the 1600-block of North Laramie Avenue, which is in the North Austin neighborhood.

The shirt she was wearing caught fire.

Authorities say her parents were home at the time, but they were in another room. The girl reportedly ran into the kitchen, screaming for help. Her father put out the fire in the kitchen sink.

The 6-year-old is suffering from second-degree burns to approximately 15 percent of her body, including her chest and arms.

Neighbors speaking with ABC7 Chicago say they hope the little girl makes a full recovery.

"I hope she gets better because they're nice kids -- nice family, nice kids and everything. So, I just didn't understand it, you know. What could have happened? Did somebody leave something laying around and she got into it?" one neighbor said.

After being transported to the Stroger Hospital in a life support ambulance, the girl was listed in critical condition initially. However, nurses at Stroger said Tuesday she was in serious but stable condition.

Load Comments