- 2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and shredded (after shredding the potatoes, place them in a large bowl with ice water-they won't oxidize and turn rust-colored)
- Neutrally flavored oil for frying (I prefer canola)
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled and grated
- 3 egg whites, beaten with a whisk until frothy
- 3 to 6 tablespoons flour, depending on how "wet" onion and potatoes are
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
1. Place the shredded potatoes in a large clean towel and squeeze out all of the moisture; make sure the potatoes are completely dry.
2. Place all of the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and add the potatoes. Mix all of the ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
3. Heat a large skillet with 1 1/2 inches of oil. Drop spoonfuls of latke batter into the oil. Flatten it slightly with the back of a spoon. Brown the latkes on both sides. Remove to a platter lined with paper towels.
4. To re-heat: Place the latkes on a cookie sheet and heat in a 400-degree F oven until hot.