Shantel McCoy, 32, was killed after she took an elevator up to the 12th floor of her apartment building at 3130 North Lake Shore Drive.
McCoy was unaware a fire was raging in the halls outside her unit. She was killed when the elevator doors opened.
McCoy's mother has filed a wrongful-death lawsuit, claiming 3130 N. Lake Shore LLC and Planned Property Management Inc. failed to properly warn residents of the fire.
The 21-story building did not have sprinklers or a hard-wire alarm system.
Building management has not commented on the lawsuit.
The Cook County medical examiner ruled that Shantel McCoy's death was accidental and caused by carbon monoxide intoxication and inhalation of smoke and soot.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.