4 leeks, lower white parts only
1 qt vegetable oil
Salt/pepper to taste
2 cups flour
1. Season Flour with salt and pepper.
2. Cut off top green parts of leeks. Will not use
3. Cut lower white part of leeks in half length wise
4. Now turn and slice into long, thin strips.
5. Coat with seasoned flour.
6. Place oil into dutch oven or saut? pan. Turn on heat on high.
7. Add floured leeks, shaking off excess flour first.
8. As oil heats, leeks will begin to fry and float. When crispy, around 3 to 5 minutes, carefully pull from oil with slotted spoon. Place on paper towel to drain. Season with salt and pepper again.
9. Use as garnish for braised pork with polenta
Tips: Using cold oil in pan, place floured leeks in cold oil and turn on heat, as oil heats up, leeks begin to fry and crisp without burning.
Tips: Leeks can be fried up to day in advance, just keep wrapped air tight.