Brown says she and her husband returned home around 9:30 p.m. Friday and found their South Side home on fire.
According to officials, the blaze damaged the basement and first floor of the home in the 8800-block of South Constance and caused a partial collapse on one floor.
Brown says investigators told her the fire started in the basement dryer. She also says she has lived in the home for 28 years, and it is now a total loss.
"It's just devastating to have this happen, to virtually become homeless suddenly and unexpectedly," Brown said. "By the grace of God, we'll be ok."
No one was hurt.
Brown's two dogs escaped the fire.