The sweet potato is a big attraction at Jimmy Jams Pies in Chicago's Beverly community. Sweet potato cake, traditional sweet potato pie, sweet potato ice cream, cream cheese sweet potato pie, sandwiches made with sweet potato bread, and the stuffed baked sweet potato are just a few of the offerings of Jimmy Jam. Owner, Jimmy Jam shares her recipe for "Jimmy Jam Chicken Loaded Yams".
When shopping, always choose firm sweet potatoes with no soft, decaying spots. The skin should be smooth. To keep them fresh, store in a cool dry location. Keep them out of the refrigerator. When stored properly, they will last a month or more. Don't wash until you're ready to use them.
- Jimmy Jam Chicken Loaded Yams
- 1 Yam or Sweet Potato any size (according to your appetite (we use very large ones).
- 4 Tablespoons or more of Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup of diced chicken or thin sandwich steak diced (the two Meats may be combined.
- 1/2 cup of chopped Bell Pepper.
- 1/2 cup of Onions.
- 1/2 cup of Mushrooms.
- 1 cup plus 1/2 cup of Shredded Cheese (a mix of Monterey Jack and Cheddar) or any Cheese of your choice.
- 4 tablespoons of Brown Sugar ( 2 tablespoons to caramelize the Vegetables and 2 tablespoons to sprinkle on the Potato before putting the Shredded Cheese and Vegetables on top of the Potato.)
Wash the Potato, wrap it in foil and let it bake for an hour or until done. After the Potato is done, cook the diced Chicken or Steak with a little Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil then add the Vegetables and Brown Sugar and cook until the Vegetables are Caramelized. If preferred you can leave a little crunch to the Vegetables. Once the Meat and Vegetables are done, Cut the Potato down the middle, (caution Potato will be very hot) sprinkle the Remainder of the Brown Sugar on top of the Hot Potato then start layering 1/2 cup of Shredded Cheese, the Meat and Vegetables then top it off with the cup of Shredded Cheese. If you prefer the Cheese melted put it in the Microwave or Oven until the Cheese melts.
Jimmy Jam Pies
1844 W. 95th Street