www.thechoppingblock.net The Chopping Block 222 Merchandise Mart Plaza Suite 1506, Chicago 312.644.6360
4747 N. Lincoln Ave.
Yield: 8-10 servings as a side
Active time: 25 minutes
Start to finish: 25 minutes
1/2 head white cabbage, julienned or shredded
1/2 head red cabbage, julienned or shredded
4 radishes, thinly sliced
2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons prepared mustard
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
Salt and Pepper taste
1. In a large bowl toss together the white cabbage, red cabbage, radishes, carrots, mayonnaise, mustard, sugar and cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Serve right away or allow to chill, refrigerated, for 24 hours. ?
Yield: 10-12 servings
Active time: 30 minutes
Start to finish: 5 days, 2 hours, 40 minutes
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon dried thyme
4 bay leaves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 guajillo chilies, seeded
One 5 to 7 pound brisket, preferably the thicker fattier end trimmed and cut in half
For the sauce:
2 cups cooking liquid from corned beef
2 guajillo chilies, seeded
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons raisins
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1. Place the salt, allspice, thyme, bay leaves, cumin and guajillo chilies in a spice grinder and pulse until finely ground.
2. Take the two pieces of beef and, with a paring knife, prick each side approximately 30 times. Place each piece of beef in a sealable bag.
3. Pour half of the spice blend in each bag. Toss to coat well and place the sealed bags in a baking dish. Place a weighted-down baking dish on top of the beef. Refrigerate for 5 to 7 days, turning the beef over once daily.
4. Remove the beef from the bags and rinse well.
5. Soak the beef in water for several hours, changing the water multiple times.
6. Place the brisket in a large stock pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the beef is fork tender, 2 to 3 hours. Skim the surface of the water while cooking. Once the beef is done, set aside on a platter.
7. To prepare the sauce, place all of the ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
8. Heat a grill pan over medium heat.
9. Coat the brisket with the sauce and grill until the sauce is lightly caramelized on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
10. Transfer to a cutting board with a juice groove. Cut the brisket into thin slices against the grain and serve with Cabbage Salad.