Dr. Greg Nicholson, a shoulder and elbow expert with Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush hospital visited ABC7 Chicago with some useful information on the issue.
How can parents protect their children from overuse syndrome?
- know the pitch count
- learn proper throwing mechanics
- watch for signs of psychological burn-out
- watch for signs of pain or unusual body movements
- don't play year-round
- stretch and strengthen shoulder muscles before and after games
- no weight training on game day
For more information, visit the Midwest Orthopaedics website.