Majority of appendectomies could be unnecessary


April 6, 2012 1:46:09 PM PDT
A study in the British Medical Journal found that 64 percent of all appendectomies could be regarded as unnecessary and many could be treated by simply using antibiotics.

The study found that 80 percent of people who had what is known as "uncomplicated appendicitis" did not suffer another bout within 12 months of their antibiotic course.

Scientists say uncomplicated appendicitis accounts for about 80 percent of cases, while the other 20% are complicated cases where surgery really is the only option.

Load Comments