Andra McGowan drew a picture of the flames he saw flying from the electrical outlet in his room. The fire spread quickly through his Indianapolis house.
But Andra's quick thinking got his mother and their relatives out in time.
"I just yelled, 'It's a fire, mommy,' " Andra said.
"It was the alarm of my child that let me know something was going on," said his mother. "He wouldn't just yell, yell and keep yelling my name."
Andra's mother taught him fire safety, and she is grateful he remembered the lesson.