Makes 4 servings
- 20 large shrimp, shelled and deveined with tails left on
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Prepare 4 skewers: If using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water for 5 minutes before adding the shrimp so that they do not burn on the grill. Place 5 shrimp on each skewer so that they are just touching, but not too close together.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, cayenne pepper, and salt. Pour the mixture into a large plastic freezer bag (1 gallon size) and add the shrimp skewers. Swish the mixture around the shrimp in the bag so that they are totally covered. Seal and place the bag inside a second bag or on a dish in the refrigerator and marinate the shrimp for at least 4 hours.
3. Heat the grill or a stovetop grill pan to medium heat and add the marinated shrimp skewers. Grill the skewers for about 3 minutes per side, or until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.
Make-Ahead Tips: This recipe doubles or triples easily. If making a large batch, pour the marinade into a large baking dish and submerge the shrimp to marinate on the skewers. Then cover it with plastic and refrigerate them until right before grilling.