- 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef sirloin
- 4 oz. bulk Italian sausage
- 1 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 thin slices mozzarella cheese
- 16 thin slices pepperoni
- 8 thin slices hard salami
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- 4 ciabatta rolls, split and toasted
- 1/4 cup purchased marinara sauce, warmed
- 1 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese curls (optional)
In a large bowl, combine ground beef, sausage, oregano, salt, and black pepper; use your clean hands to mix lightly.
Divide meat mixture into eight portions. On a tray or baking sheet, shape each portion into a 4 1/2-inch-diameter patty. Divide mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, salami, basil, and olives among four of the patties. If desired, sprinkle with crushed red pepper. Top with the remaining four patties, pressing edges to seal well.
For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Check for medium heat above the pan. Place burgers on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill about 30 minutes or until done (160°F).* (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Place burgers on grill rack over unlit burner. Grill as above.)
To assemble, place spinach leaves on bun bottoms. Add a burger to each bun bottom. Top burgers with warmed marinara sauce and, if desired, Parmesan cheese. Add bun tops, cut sides down. Makes 4 servings.
Each serving: 791 cal, 48 g fat, 145 mg chol, 1592 mg sodium, 32 g carb, 2 g fiber, 57 g pro