A team from Chicago Vocational Career Academy met that challenge, and team members joined us in the studio to show us their award winning entry.
"Cousins" Collard Greens & Cabbage
1 T butter
1 c diced Spanish onion
3/4 c diced carrots
2 quarts water
1 T chicken base
1 and 1/2 lbs frozen chopped collard greens
1 and 1/2 lbs green cabbage, chopped
1 T Cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 T Southern seasoning (or onion powder, sage, black pepper and cayenne to taste)
1. Melt butter in a large pan. Saut? onions and carrots until vegetables are tender. Set aside.
2. Bring water and chicken base to a boil in a stock pot and add collard greens, cooking until tender, approximately 10 minutes.
3. Add onion and carrot mixture; cover and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
4. Add cabbage and Cajun and Italian seasonings; cover and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
5. Turn off heat and add Southern seasoning.
6. Serve and enjoy!
2 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c Rice Krispies cereal, crushed
1 T Cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2ctsp garlic powder
8 chicken drumsticks, raw
1/2 c melted butter or cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 450 F.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, crushed cereal, Cajun seasoning, poultry seasoning, pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Mix well.
3. Place drumsticks into flour mixture and coat well.
4. Arrange drumsticks on an ungreased sheet pan.
5. Place melted butter in a spray bottle (or use cooking spray) and spray chicken evenly.
6. Bake at 450 F until internal temperature of the chicken is 165 F, approximately 25-30 minutes.
7. Serve with whole wheat dinner roll and enjoy!
Sweet Potato Salad
1 quart water
1 and 1/2 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 c frozen corn
1/2 c kidney beans, drained
1/4 c green bell pepper, diced
3/4 c mayonnaise
1 T lemon juice
1 and 1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1. Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan; add sweet potatoes and corn. Boil until tender, about 6-7 minutes.
2. Place vegetables in an ice bath; drain well and place in a large bowl. Add kidney beans.
3. In a medium bowl, combine green bell pepper.
4. Stir dressing into mixture of sweet potatoes, corn and beans. Mix well.
5. Refrigerate until ready to serve.