Family hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning

June 16, 2012 3:36:38 PM PDT
Nine members of one family on the far South Side had to be hospitalized due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Fumes from a malfunctioning water heater are believed to have sickened the family.

Emergency teams were called to the home at 102nd and South Hoxie just before 11:30 Saturday morning.

They ventilated the building and treated some of the residents at the scene.

A tenth person told us he didn't need to be hospitalized.

"I feel lucky," Emmitt Reynolds said. "Everyone is lucky because actually carbon monoxide is a very quite killer. You breathe it and don't know it. You wake up dead."

The nine family members complained of headaches, but none of the injuries appears to be life- threatening.

Load Comments