Bristle brushes could ruin your next barbecue

July 5, 2012 2:13:13 PM PDT
Using a bristle brush to clean your grill could be a barbecue hazard.

A new Center for Disease Control and Prevention report has documented six cases of people accidentally swallowing wire bristles while eating food cooked on a grill.

In each of the cases the bristles were embedded in steaks and burgers that were served to people who quickly got sick and had to be hospitalized.

None of the cases were fatal, but some of the patients have had to endure uncomfortable procedures to remove the bristles.

Experts say grillers should throw out old or worn metal brushes and look for different ways to clean the grates, or carefully inspect the grill before cooking on it.

Load Comments