Chef Sternweilers Top Tips:
- When cooking bison meat, Chef Sternweiler looks for a "safety zone" on the grill, a place where either the coals aren't overly hot or if it's a gas grill, he turns one burner off as to not overcook the meat.
- Be sure that the grill is clean, using a grill brush to get a sparkling surface
- Bison meat can be found at your local butcher shops, such as Butcher & the Burger, or a gourmet grocery store - Chef Sternweiler's bison burger is topped with bacon, cheddar, griddled onions and tomato
Butcher & the Burger offers butchery classes on Monday nights throughout each month. The next class is Monday, September 24 at and is a fish mongering class where Chef Sternweiler demonstrates how to break down various seafood. All classes include a full meal after and are BYOB. The link to additional classes can be seen here.
Butcher & the Burger was recently voted the Manliest Burger Spot in America by Men's Health Magazine. The Chicago burger hot spot went head to head with five other burger joints around the U.S. to win the title as part of the magazine's "America's Manliest Restaurant" contest, which included five nominees in nine different guy-food categories. After a month-long voting spree and almost 85,000 votes around the country, Butcher & the Burger came out on top in the burger category.
Butcher & the Burger
1021 W. Armitage Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614
- Grass fed bison meat
- Seasoned spice mix
- Griddled Onions
- Gulf Coast Shrimp
- Goat Cheese
- Wasabi Mayonnaise
- Lettuce wrap instead of bread bun
House Blend Burger
- Grass-fed Beef
- American Cheese
- Choice of Bun (Split top egg butter, whole wheat, pretzel bun)
Spice options can be selected for any burger and include: Simple kosher salt & cracked pepper, Chicago Steakhouse, Sonora Desert Chili, Creek Bottom Game Mix, Cameron Parish Cajun Blend, Grandma's Onion Soup, Curry-Coconut-Honey, Burger Meets Sun (with ghost pepper) and Umami Glaze (a miso, sweet soy marinade).