- 3 pounds of sturgeon filet
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 cups hardwood smoking chips (alder, apple maple or hickory)
1. Fillet the fish and place in a bowl, sprinkle salt mixture on both sides and refrigerate for 12 to 16 hours, drain off the excess liquid. In a small bowl cover with cold water and soak for 15 min. drain and pat dry place on a wire rack and allow to air dry for 30 min. remove and place unto and oven proof pan lined with a rack.
2. Soak the wood chips in water for up to 30 min. Drain dived into to small piles and cover each with aluminum foil creating two wood packets. Using a small knife pierce holes in the foil to create vents, place one of the packets directly over and open flame until chips begin to smolder and burn.
3. Place the smoking packet on the opposite side of the pan with the fish cover with a lid and place into a 200 oven for 15 to 20 min or until the fish is opaque. repeat the burning of the wood packet with second packet and replace the fist on after 10 min.
Pickled red onions
- 2 red onions sliced thin
- 1 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
1. Blanch sliced red onions in a small saucepan of boiling water to cover for 1 minute and drain in a colander. Using the same saucepan and add a cup of red wine vinegar, water salt.
2. Bring to a boil over high heat. Transfer the onions and to a glass jar cover with the brine and chill. The onions will turn the color of a pink and will get crisp as they cool. They'll keep for weeks in the refrigerator.