All Chicago Public Schools students will start class on the same day during the 2013-2014 school: August 26, 2013. And, they'll all have three days of vacation at Thanksgiving.
CPS released its calendar for the 2013-2014 school year on Friday. The single-track calendar gives all CPS students the same start and end dates, as well as days off, by doing away with the two-track calendar. Those days off include three full days at Thanksgiving.
School officials worked with Chicago Teachers Union leaders and asked parents and school staff to fill out an online survey. According to a release from CPS, the highlights include:
- First and Last Days of School: The first day of school for all students will be August 26, 2013 and the last day of school will be June 10, 2014.
- Holidays: Schools will be closed to observe Labor Day, September 2, 2013; Columbus Day, October 14, 2013; Veteran's Day, November 11, 2013; Thanksgiving, November 20-22, 2013; Martin Luther King Jr. Day, January 20, 2014; Lincoln's Birthday, February 12, 2014 and Memorial Day, May 26, 2014.
- Parent-Teacher Conferences: Formerly known as Report Card Pick-Up, Parent Teacher Conferences will occur on the same day for elementary and high school students and will occur on November 12, 2013 and April 7, 2014. Parent-Teacher Conferences are days of non-student attendance.
- Winter Break: December 23, 2013 to January 3, 2014.
- Spring Break: Schools will be closed for Spring Break from April 14 to April 18, 2014.
The school board will vote on the new calendar next week.