To make sure your puppy learns how to be on its best behavior around other dogs, Petco is offering free socialization classes on January 19-20, 2013, in Chicagoland.
Noel Santiago, Petco Certified Trainer, came into our ABC7 studio to give tips on how to train your puppy. He brought along Kelly Yearwood from Pits for Patriots in Bensenville, Illinois, Joanne Magnuson with Help A Pooch Rescue in Algonquin, Illinois, and several dogs, including puppy-in-training Phoebe.
Phoebe is becoming a service dog, and in two years, she will be ready to go home with a veteran in need. The dogs from Help a Pooch rescue are up for adoption.
Easy training tips:
1. The "Nothing" exercise:
- helps overexcited/ hyper dogs learn to be calm and relaxed around people
- helpful with dogs that have been adopted since they may have spent a lot of time in a kennel and without too much human interaction
- take your pet into a low interaction area like your kitchen or bedroom
- place a blanket on the floor and place your pet on it with them on a short leash
- sit on the floor as well so they're not intimidated by you standing
- simply sit there with your dog, do nothing until they calm down
- they will calm down after a few minutes
2. How to take a treat nicely:
- if your pet is aggressive when getting a treat
- take the treat in your hand and close your fist
- place your fist by your pet, and let them smell, like, nibble, but do not give them the treat
- when they calm down, open your fist and allow them to take the treat from you
Free Puppy Socialization Seminars
At all Petcos in Illinois, but contact your local store for details